URGENT!! Now my other Senator is off the reservation!!
From: Roy Beck, President, NumbersUSA
Date: Friday 8DEC06 4:30 p.m. EST
Backroom negotiations underway to bring 90,000 MORE foreign NURSES next year -- Phone to stop
ANTI-AMERICAN WORKER EFFORTS NEVER STOP -- BUT WE DON'T EITHER, DO WE?
We've just learned that the other Texas Republican Senator (Kay Bailey Hutchison) is negotiating furiously to pass a foreign nurses bill tonight.
While Sen. Cornyn (R-TX) remains stymied in passing his bill to increase overall skilled workers by several hundred thousand next year, Hutchison is greasing the skids for another slam against American nurses.
CALL YOUR TWO SENATORS -- NOW!!!!
Choose from the following in what to say:
1. I just heard that Sen. Hutchison is nearing a deal to import another 90,000 foreign nurses next year.
2. I oppose yet another effort to undercut the wages and working conditions of American nurses.
3. The country has tens of thousands of trained nurses who are waiting for working conditions to improve before returning to their field. If you keep importing foreign nurses, the improvement will never happen.
4. Unless you want to stop American girls and boys from pursuing nursing careers in the future, you must stop turning it into a foreign profession.
5. Sen. Hutchison's chronic efforts to flood the country with foreign nurses are thwarting the ability of the free-market system to entice and reward career choices based on what skills are needed by our society. Sen. Hutchison is ruining the nursing profession year by year.
6. Adjourn, end this Congress and go home without adding ANY more foreign workers of any kind.
7. Many politicians such as Sen. Hutchison seem to believe that because nursing is a tough, demanding job that the pay and working conditions should be constantly undermined and that only "foreign serfs" should do the work. That is a terrible principle. In our society, the tougher the job and the more difficulty in filling it, the more pay should increase and the more employers should strive to improve the working conditions. Efforts like Sen. Hutchison's represent an unethical kind of classism that should be repugnant in a 21st century American Congress.
If you are reading this, please call -- because most people won't see this email in time!
EXTRA CREDIT ACTIVITY
After you have called your two Senators, we have a few very special leaders who need extra calls, if you have time, and especially if you live in their state or region:
Senate Majority Leader Frist (R-TN)
Senate Majority Whip McConnell (R-KY)
Senate Minority Leader Reid (D-NV)
Senate Minority Whip Durbin (D-IL)
House Speaker Hastert (R-IL)
House Majority Leader Boehner (R-OH)
House Majority Whip Blunt (R-MO)
House Minority Leader Pelosi (D-CA)
House Minority Whip Hoyer (D-MD)
Senate Judiciary Chairman Specter (R-PA)
Senate Judiciary Ranking Member Leahy (D-VT)
House Judiciary Chairman Sensenbrenner (R-WI)
House Judiciary Ranking Member Conyers (D-MI)
I certainly hope you Texans are doing everything you can to let your two Senators know how disappointed you are them. MAKE SURE THEIR HOME STATE OFFICES ARE GETTING A LOT OF CALLS, TOO.
Let's not let all of our American nurses (both native-born and foreign-born) down. They deserve the support of all of us in this
moment of great threat.
Sen. Hutchison has succeeded in sneaking through similar giant increases in foreign nurses in past years. She has to be competing for the title of the Most Anti-Nurse Person in America.
THANKS FOR JUST A FEW MORE PHONE CALLS BEFORE CONGRESS LEAVES TOWN,
P.S. You all have done a remarkable job of keeping the phones busy all day today in the Senate on the Cornyn H-1B bill.
The word we had from many congressional staffers today is that the tech industry lobbyists -- especially Microsoft lobbyists -- are fit to be tied. They cannot believe that so many Members whom they thought they had purchased with campaign contributions are standing up against them on this bill. You know the only reason they are standing up is because of your pressure/support. We are told that the lobbyists have begun calling some congressional offices in tirades hurling all kinds of threats about the future.
You've held them off this long. Keep the pressure today until the switchboards close. Our goal is that the House will leave town later this evening before the Senate has passed Cornyn or Hutchison and we will have won. Although the Senate likely will be in session tomorrow, it won't do any good for them to pass something that the House has not already passed, since the House won't be around to vote on anything after it leaves town.